Friday, May 18, 2012

Tone

Definition: The tone in a poem  is the set theme or emotion. It helps connect the reader to the emotion of the poem.

Example:
The Pasture
I'm going out to clean the pasture spring; (light, informing tone)
I'll only stop to rake the leaves away ("only" tone - reservation)
(And wait to watch the water clear, I may): (supplementary, possibility)
I sha'n't be gone long. -- You come too. (free tone, assuring) (after thought, inviting) "Rather well for me" --

I'm going out to fetch the little calf (Similar, free, persuasive, assuring
That's standing by the
mother. It's so young, and inviting tones in second stanza)
It totters when she licks it with her tongue.
I sha'n't be gone long. -- You come to

Significance: The tone in apoem is important because it connects the reader to the poem. The tone helps the reader feel the emotion of the poem and helps the reader understand what the poet wants them to feel while reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment